I know it seems like it is tang me a long time to get these two projects completed – ESQ #2 and the first ESQ uke, but life just seems to happen. There was our 3rd Wedding anniversary, my beautiful wife’s birthday, my birthday, my daughters high school graduation, and work. Oh well I still made progress along the way and am finally trying to finish up both projects as I am also getting things ready for Uke #2 and ESQ #3.
We ll here are some pics of the concert ukulele:
Kind of out of order but here is a pic after using Z Poxy to fill the pores of the wood and to help the grain pop a little. First time using it so I might of over did it cause I sanded a lot afterward. I put two coats of the Z Poxy with sanding in between and after. I always waited a day before sanding.
You can see I did it in stages too. First the top, then the sides and back, finishing up with the neck.
The fingerboard doesn’t get any and I should have taped it before starting, but I forgot and ended up taping it after seeing that my fingers were leaven Z Poxy marks. The book I am using states to use car or floor wax on the fingerboard and since I didn’t have any at the time I did not do this before installing the frets. I now have some car wax and will try to a put it on after I do the finish.
Here I am just showing the neck and headstock after carving, shaping, and sanding it down to how I want it to look.
For the ukes I had to make my ESQ headstock logo a little smaller. I tried to care out some wood to use for this instead of shell, but the wood always broke . So i tried to use wood dust and epoxy to fill the logo. Not sure if I like it since I am not an expert at using the Dremmel yet in cutting the logo into the headstock. May attempt to make a stencil and paint it on next time and save the carving for higher end instruments, but I will need to practice, practice, and practice at it.
Next pics will be the start of the lacquering of the uke and ESQ#2.